Monday, February 9, 2009

Random Stuff

So, someone (I'm not naming any names) told me I need to write on my blog more. I told her that I don't have many interesting things to say, and I'm not witty enough to make boring stuff interesting. But, in any case, I'll try to write more.

I was talking to this same person about trials and why we have to go through them. I mentioned a quote I had heard and she was interested in getting the quote, so here it is!

Elder George Q. Cannon (1827-1901) said "The Saints should always remember that God sees not as man sees; that he does not willingly afflict his children, and that if he requires them to endure present privation and trial, it is that they may escape greater tribulations which would otherwise inevitably overtake them. If He deprives them of any present blessing, it is that he may bestow upon them greater and more glorious ones by-and-by.”

I really like that. It helps to know that there's a reason we have trials...not just some quota of misery that God has to fill. :-)

Hmmm, what else can I ramble about while my house remains a disaster. (I'd much rather type than clean.) Oh, I can vent about the most painful choir practice ever last night. It was for a stake conference choir that will perform in 2 weeks. I guess I've taken it for granted that our ward is especially musically gifted and that others are not. We are singing 4 verses of a hymn and, get this...3 of the 4 verses will be sung in unison! I couldn't believe my ears. And then on top of that we had to sit and practice it for half an hour! (and we will practice again next week for half an hour and then again 20 minutes before the Stake Conference session... can I pull out all my hair yet?)

I shouldn't be this critical. I actually feel really guilty that I am criticizing. We are supposed to do the best with what we are given, and if that's what our stake choir is capable of, then they shouldn't do more than that. It's just hard for those of us who like a challenge to have patience in that setting. Can I just say how grateful I am to live in a ward where there happens to be a lot of musical talent? I'm not sure I could attend a choir like our stake choir on a regular basis.

Have I filled my quota for blogging yet? At least for today? .... Good!


4 comments:

  1. I love that quote so much, can't even tell you. Love it love it love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, can I just say that I love that your complaining about the choir practice! I'm pretty much overly critical of everyone and everything all the time. It's kind of comforting to know that someone as kind as you also takes a little time out to gripe. It somehow makes me feel a little better about myself. How sad is that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and can I now just say that I hate that I didn't really proofread that. Arg. I love that [you're] complaining.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually catch errors like that, but that one just slipped right by me...

    ReplyDelete