Thursday, March 19, 2009

American Idol Thoughts

When the judges announced last week that there was going to be a change in the contest, I was praying that they would say they were changing the voting procedure... alas, they announced they could save someone...which is a good thing, but not what really would have solved the problem of the best person getting voted off. THEY NEED TO SET A LIMIT ON HOW MANY TIMES YOU CAN VOTE! It's that simple. If each phone number were allowed only 5 votes, the results would be a lot more accurate of what the country really wants. The way it is now, why would I vote at all unless I plan to call for the entire 2 hours straight? The results are showing what a small obsessed group of people want and not what the majority of America would want... case in point, anyone remember Taylor Hicks? How about Ruben Studdard? They had their home states voting for them just for the sake of someone from their state winning...after they won, who could care less about them? The show's numbers would be much less impressive if they changed the voting. Ryan would be saying "we had a disappointing 100,000 votes." I think that's the only reason they aren't changing it. Dancing With the Stars has the right idea. They limit votes and for the most part, I usually completely agree with the results. Another option would be to let America choose the bottom 3, but then have the judges pick which one needs to go. Or let the judges pick their top three and give them immunity... oh, the things I would do if I were in charge!

By the way, did anyone like Adam's song on Tuesday? It was very weird, not exactly the kind of music I would listen to, but, man-o-man, can that boy sing!! He's the only one I look forward to every week, just to see what vocal feat he will attempt (and succeed in)... everyone else is predictable. I want to see them change things up and do something other that karaoke, which almost everyone does! They sound great, but ....yawn...boring.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, that's a really good review:) We don't have TV. But you still got me thinkin':) I have however, followed Dancing With the Stars before (the season before and just after Caleb was born)and I remember how in to it we got. It's funny! But in a good way I think. I like those shows (other then the junk;) Have fun with it!:) Hope this finds you smiling!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you that the voting needs a serious overhaul. I've never actually vote, but maybe I would if I felt like it would make a difference.

    As for Adam, I've never liked him. I think his performance skills generally outshine his vocal skills. That said, Ring of Fire was really strange, but he proved to me that he can definately sing. The weird intervals and crazy range of that song showed that he can do stuff that no other contestant could possibly pull off, and that's impressive.

    ReplyDelete